Years ago, my husband received this bumper sticker for Christmas:

We kept it in the glove compartment of our car. We aren't really bumper sticker people.

But, two springs ago, at a rest stop in the Southwestern part of the United States, it felt like the right time to put the sticker on the car. Ever since, there has been an increase in cars speeding up to us to get a look inside. Often, there are compliments. Occasionally, someone asks what "God bless Johnny Cash" means. I don't really know what it'supposed to mean. He makes good road trip music. Bless him.

At times, I feel awkward with the sticker on my car. I also felt awkward driving my mom's car around Texas, sporting an Obama sticker. Pulling up at church these past few weeks, I have felt self-conscious about this sticker. Do Christians find this kind of thing offensive? I don't know. As I parked the car at church this morning, I was literally thinking about three things; the coffee I had not finished, whether or not my little one would cry when dropped off in the nursery and the bumper sticker.

Something strange would soon be happening, right as the offering plate was passed. The "worship team" (as they may or not be called) sang this song:


It was a sneak peak to an upcoming gospel concert, but still. This song choice would so not be appropriate at so many churches I have been to. If I ever felt like I needed a sign to know I would not be judged in this place, that would have to be it.

0 comments: